Sunday, March 10, 2013

Personal Review


The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is one of my favorite books that I have read in awhile.  In the first chapter I found it to be slightly hard to understand with its overly sophisticated sentences, but once each character was clarified and dialogue was included I was drawn in.  The way that Fitzgerald worded some of Nick’s narrations was beautiful, and there are definitely a plethora of quotes that will stick with me from the book.   The descriptions of Jay Gatsby’s lavish Saturday night parties helped me to realize the gaudy display of wealth that the rich people of the 1920’s had, even though in Gatsby’s case it was to get Daisy to notice him.  However once it is apparent that Gatsby is involved in dishonest works, it shows that the American Dream both in previous years and even now has been corrupted by the love for money.  I think that the way Fitzgerald displayed the consequences of greed and Gatsby’s desire to recreate the past was perfectly displayed in Gatsby’s death.  Although his death surprised me, I realized it was necessary to effectively get Fitzgerald’s point across about the unlikeliness in achieving success while running after happiness.  The ending paragraphs as Nick is on the beach describing how Gatsby lost his life in his pursuit of past love is one of my favorite endings to any book that I have ever read.  Fitzgerald definitely had a way with words to add emphasis and passion to his writing that helped me to understand the characters and the major themes he wanted to portray. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your confusion directed toward the beginning of the novel, the character discription is somewhat confusing but further into the plot, the descriptions level out and are easier to understand. I also agree with how elegantly Fitzgerald described Gatsby's extravagant, luxurious parties. The imagery created by his sophistocated diction was incredible. Gatsby's death was shocking, and at first I thought that he did not get shot, but after re-reading the passage, it became clear to me that he was murdered; therefore, creating a feeling of sorrow for Gatsby. I feel sorry for Gatsby because he was a generous, munificent man, even though he was involved in dishonest works, he was gracious and loving. Great blog Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete